Strong Northern Netherlands sees European funds as a driving force for regional development
The Northern Netherlands is the European Union’s proven champion. Here, every euro from the European Regional Development Fund generates 4.26 euros in investments. The funds are invested effectively and yield plenty of innovative activity and employment. The Northern Netherlands helps Europe to achieve its goals. Strong clusters of innovative companies and leading knowledge institutions work together. The Northern Netherlands takes the lead in moving towards transition.
The EU can contribute to this by:
- Organising EU funds in such a way that they can be used for regional programmes as much as possible. European policies and investments have the most impact and increase visibility when they are in line with the realities of citizens, entrepreneurs and farmers
- Granting the regions more powers to enable them to work in an integrated target-oriented manner when distributing and implementing these funds. The Northern Netherlands wants to programme and implement the European structural and investment funds ERDF, ESF, POP, Horizon and INTERREG itself, combined on a regional scale, so we can work towards achieving European objectives in a regionally relevant way
- Focusing on implementing POP (Dutch Rural development Program under EAFRD) with the farmer in mind. The Northern Netherlands wants to continue the regional implementation of POP
- Simplifying and reducing administrative costs and regulatory pressure
- Investing in innovation and the reinforcement of the social structure in border and areas with depopulation
- Focusing on the largest task of the regional economy in the design of the ESF fund. We see future-proofing the labour market and jobs as a major challenge. We can achieve this if we can link regional ESF funds to the Human Capital Agenda, one of the objectives of the ERDF fund. By using ESF for secondary vocational education we can focus specifically on education in the North with the opportunities of our economy in mind. Senior secondary vocational education can also be involved in innovative ERDF projects. This way we can involve the entire educational line in the North
- Making large funds such as Horizon Europe more accessible to SMEs.
Download our position Paper below: